Oh Those Gorgeous Threads!!!

  
     Colorful threads neatly lined up, draw me in as if I were headed for a butter pecan sundae. I'm sure that if you are reading this newsletter you too are drawn in by colorful threads. This obsession goes back to my big box of crayons and packages of construction paper I cherished as a kid and still keep around for the grand kids! 

     Colorful thread and needles are usually a topic people bring up when they see my quilts. So, let's discuss this.

      Recently I visited with a group of ladies for a class of the Vase of Beauties pattern. Some created it in the colors I used, but the majority used wools of their color choice. I love seeing the personalities the quilts take on through the backgrounds and colors the maker uses. We started talking about stitches and they all mentioned that they were in need of size 8 threads for the stitches we were about to do. 

     As I discussed thread with them I took out my containers of Sue Spargo's Eleganza Threads by Wonderfil. The colors are rich, not washed out. The variegated are especially nice to use to add more impact to a stitch. The threads have a beautiful sheen to them and I found that I was not the only one that fell in love with these threads! It is worth taking time to see what is available in perle cotton threads before you start adding embroidery to a favorite project. The thread can make a big difference. 





     I have encouraged my wool and cotton appliqué  friends to add stitches to their work because it makes a more interesting piece. I suggest stitches in my patterns, but once you learn them you can be a free spirit in adding them wherever and however you want to. There are two books that I have used to learn stitches. They are Creative Stitching by Sue Spargo and The Right-Handed Embroiderer's Companion by Yvette Stanton.  I also use an app on my iPhone that is called Embroidery Library by C&T Publishing. 

     Currently the needles I use most of the time are size 24 Chenille needle and the #1 Milliner's needle. The brand I recommend is Clover. When adding cotton appliqué pieces to my work I use a Straw Needle. I travel all over with those basic needles. You can however, have variety of sizes of stitches by switching thread and needle sizes. Mary Corbet had a great post showing differences of french knots on a work she was creating. See it on her website  Needle n Thread  

Now that I have explained about the threads, 

here are a few photos of the Tuscany Poppies. 







     Ginger Mangie and I are providing an opportunity to learn embroidery stitches in a relaxing setting this coming April 15-17. Stitches in Bloom is a Getaway taking place at Punderson State Park Manor House in Newbury, Ohio. The lodge has a modern addition of rooms and meeting areas with great, big windows. The restaurant serves wonderful food and it looks out at Punderson Lake. Two classes will be taught and an open studio is available with some stitch instruction time while you create your own piece. My other patterns are available for studio time too!
     Check out the Felice Quilt Designs website. We would love to have you join us.  The deadline for registration is March 1, 2016. Look
 here  

Fun Flower Tote by Ginger Mangie

Vase of Beauties by Felice Troutman

Detail Vase of Beauties


Have fun with your stitches,
Felice


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE Quilt Show! Inspiration Overload!

I'm in Love with Shibori

You Can Do It! Use Your Photographs for Designing a Quilt