THE Quilt Show! Inspiration Overload!


     October was the month for lots of quilt shows, but the one that has been on my bucket list is the Houston International Quilt Festival. This show really got my mind rocking and my heart beating! The quilts were beautiful. The vendors had the latest fabrics and it made you feel like you need to run to your sewing room and start something immediately.   


 Welcome to Texas! 

     The shopping opportunities were huge. I picked up a wool and cotton palette for the quilt I will start when Tuscany is complete. I'm on the last block, but the biggest one. AND lots more!!!!  (If you are interested in seeing parts of Tuscany you can do that on Instagram or Facebook for Felice Quilt Designs.)

     If you have not had the opportunity to go to Houston for this show I recommend it for whatever style of quilt you create. You will see photos of all styles. There was even a wool on cotton quilt with lots of embroidery embellishment. That said to me.... the techniques that I do, have made it to the big show. 


     I travelled to Houston by way of Chicago. My friends Susan, Maryann and I picked up Karen in Chicago. It was great spending time with them, but an added plus was that we got to chat with quilters from all over the United States as well as a gal in the elevator from Australia, a South American quilter during breakfast, a new friend from New Hampshire and three lovely Texas gals while we enjoyed our Chai Latte. Quilters love talking quilts, quilt shops and family! Many quilts are gifted to family, so I understand how it runs that course. 


Here are a few of the quilts. You can tell I like bright colors.....




BEST OF SHOW by Janet Stone 
"Ewe Are My Sunshine"











Peaks and Valleys 2 by Maren Johnston




by Linda Engstrom








Rio Rosie by Maryann Herndon





Emma's Garden by Debbie Shives was displayed in the Primitive Quilts




Long Winter Flower Basket Sampler
Wool on Cotton by Eileen Daniels
Lots of beautiful stitches by 




     Another quilt show I attended was the Mutton Hill Quilt Show in Akron, Ohio. It was the first year for this show and was established by the Summit County Historical Society. There were a large variety of categories so I decided to enter "Eat Your Veggies" and "Yummy Fruit". I was very happy to receive a First Place in the Duet category for Veggies and a Second Place ribbon for Yummy Fruit. Both of these quilts were quilted by Eva Birch on her long arm . The dates for next year's show are October 22-23, 2016. 
Here are my quilts. ( Patterns and kits are available at  www.felicequiltdesigns.com )




Yummy Fruit


STITCHES IN BLOOM GETAWAY

     Now that the Quilt Shows have slowed down, quilters are thinking about getting busy working on new projects and finishing old ones. A great opportunity to do that is a Getaway!

Ginger Mangie and I are sponsoring a Getaway April 15-17, 2016 at Punderson State Park Manor House in NE Ohio. If you are interested please go the the website www.wildsidestitching.com or www.felicequiltdesigns.com to get the registration form and sign up. We would love to have you join us for the hand stitching classes or open studio. 
Registration deadline has been moved to December 1, 2015.


I hope you enjoyed the quilts and are planning your projects for the winter months.
Happy Stitching,
Felice

Comments

  1. I found your blog, Felice, and did enjoy seeing the display of bright quilts from Houston. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking a look at the blog. I have a newsletter that is written more regularly. If you are interested you can sign up on my website www.felicequiltdesigns.com
    The Houston Show was a Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm in Love with Shibori

You Can Do It! Use Your Photographs for Designing a Quilt