I'm in Love with Shibori

 

I'm in Love with the Shibori Technique 

    Have you ever wondered what everyone is talking about when they say Shibori? Last Fall I took a class with Sandy Shelenberger in using Indigo dyes with clamping and tying techniques. Before class I researched some Shibori techniques and did some pre-class stitching. A good book for that is Stitched Shibori   Technique, Innovation, Pattern, Design by Jane Callender.  You can see Jane's work on this website. Sandy Shelenberger teaches and shows work that you can find on the Facebook page titled Sisters of the Cloth. You can find detailed information on the history of Shibori here.
 
    Here are a few of my experiments. I currently have quite a stack and have produced two finished pieces with more on the way!  
 
Stitched Shibori Experiments
 

Wrapped and Tied Fabric


Wrapped and Tied
For the this example I used a print fabric with type and I found that to be an interesting way to have added value change in the fabric. 

Indigo Shibori Blooms is created using hand applique techniques with wool and cotton fabrics. Embroidery Embellishment was done to add more texture and detail. I like using the Apliquick© Tools to help form the cotton applique shapes. The embroidery is not planned until I have all the shapes in place.
 
 
On this bloom I decided to use the Trellis Stitch in a variegated thread to form that circular basket look shape. On top is the Coral Stitch and in the very center are two Double Cast On Stitches.
Around the dark blue petals are Back Stitches. I feel that the embroidery adds so much to the piece. You can find some stitch instructions on my website on the Stitches page.

 
    I am currently stitching in preparation for another dying session. This time I'm going to branch out to a few other colors that I can use with the Indigo pieces I already have. Here are just two circles from the group of stitching.
 
    The fabric I am using is White Kona PDF. I'm stitching with a polyester thread that is doubled. The threads will be pulled and tied tight before they go in the dye baths. The stitching will act as a resist.

    
I will share another Shibori piece for the next post. Have fun stitching! Felice
 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE Quilt Show! Inspiration Overload!

You Can Do It! Use Your Photographs for Designing a Quilt