One More Stitch?

One More Stitch? That is the question!


I love creating detail and texture with embroidery stitches on my wool appliqué quilts. Sometimes the problem is that I get to a point and ask myself, "Is that enough?"
If I do not add enough stitches the shape is flat, and if I add too many stitches I may end up with a big blur and an unclear image. Right now I am at that point with the Sunflowers block for my Tuscany Quilt. Perhaps you can help me out.


I recently went on a family vacation to the beach with my kids and grandkids and kept pretty busy. It was a wonderful time seeing the grandkids go in the ocean for the first time. Within a few minutes they were boogie boarding with smiles on their faces. Those smiles were great. Even baby Mazie and I had a good time watching the birds. However, there wasn't much time for stitching. I did however contemplate what I would do once I did start stitching.


On the trip home I was able to be passenger for a while and started some serious stitching and deciding three things:

1. where would stitches be important
2. which color threads would work the best (did I want the color to contrast or be more subtle)
3. which stitches would I use. 
Here is a starting photo when I was making decisions about placement of the pieces on the block. It is sitting on the ironing board ready to fuse.



A start on the first sunflower with the Palestrina stitch on the edges of the petals and the Stem stitch inside the petals for detail.

The Back stitch was used to create the veining on the leaf. The Bullion stitch is on the border in a dark blue to contrast in value with the green.



Here's the big question. How many french knots are needed? 
The fabric on the heads was used to add color. The center has green, then the outside has a variegated golden brown. The middle Sunflower now has variegated rust knots. The smaller flower is in progress.


So, what would you do? Is the top Sunflower done or does the middle one, with the rust french knots added, look complete? I would love to hear your comments. 

I will get started on the next block, while I wait for your response.

If you are interested in seeing more of the blocks from the Tuscany block, look back at past posts and also LIKE Felice Quilt Designs Facebook page for progress photos. You can also sign up for my newsletter with workshop and getaway opportunities on my website. www.felicequiltdesigns.com

I plan on having this pattern done by the end of August. Do you think people would be interested in a kit for the pattern? Let me know and I will see what I can do. 



I appreciate all your comments. Have a good week stitching!

Felice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE Quilt Show! Inspiration Overload!

I'm in Love with Shibori

You Can Do It! Use Your Photographs for Designing a Quilt