Wool Applique with a touch of cotton print and embroidery. What a Difference!!!

What a beautiful, sunny day for stitching with window light. I have been working away at the embellishment part of the Vegetable Quilt. 

In my last post you saw the dying and cutting of the pieces. Today I will show you some embroidery work on the vegetables. What a difference! With beautiful Valdani Threads, fun cotton prints and variety in stitches used I really think those of you that are working with wool appliqué should jump into combining fabrics and threads to enhance your works. You won't regret it.
Felice Quilt Designs 2014
Felice Quilt Designs 2014
There are a lot of beautiful patterns out there that have just the wool and perhaps a button hole stitch. Don't hesitate to look into you tubes, blogs, library books, and even an embroidery app, that you can put on your cell phone, to jump start your creativity. 

Here's a photo of the shapes before the cotton and embroidery and one with a block with it.
Felice Quilt Designs 2014
Felice Quilt Designs 2014
Here are some of the variegated Valdani Threads I have been using. Aren't they beautiful? 
Felice Quilt Designs 2014

When I pick a color of thread to use I always grab a few and place a strand along the edge of the piece that I will embroidery around. If it blends too much  I am hesitant to use it. You want those stitches to stand out. Why do all the work to create them? In this particular quilt I decided that off white would be a thread I use because of some of the prints that have an off white in it. Work for some contrast. 

The leaves on the carrots were a natural for the variegated green. So go ahead and build your thread stash and have a blast with it. There are so many ways to learn how to do the stitches. ENJOY!!!!

On my website felicequiltdesigns.com you can look at Stitch of the Month page and there you will find a few stitches to get you started. Check out the Winter Quilt for those of you ready to try one of my patterns with embroidery stitches.

I would love to see what you do to add excitement to your wool appliqué. Just add a comment here and attach your photo. 

Happy Stitching!
Felice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm in Love with Shibori

THE Quilt Show! Inspiration Overload!

The Value of a Stitch